Sunday, June 26, 2011

Majestic Deli New York City

I was in New York City the other day and visited The Majectic Delicatessen on 7th and 50th Streets. What a terrible experience! My sister and I visited the deli to grab a snack and a drink.  My sister asked for the restroom and a staff member stated that we must buy food first.  We assured him that we were going to purchase something but she needed the restroom immediately and the line for food was very long.  My sister proceeded to the restroom as I got into line to purchase a pastry.  After I purchased my food, I heard my sister yelling upstairs (where the restroom was located) and a man screaming at her.  I rushed upstairs to see what was the matter and encountered an older gentleman who appeared to be the owner or manager face to face with my sister yelling that she did not purchase any food. My sister stated that the man (stranger) had waited outside the secluded women's restroom and jumped face to face with her when she exited yelling at her and scaring her.  I yelled back and told him that we did, in fact, make a purchase and pointed it out on the table that I had just abandoned to rescue my sister.  He stated that the staff member that we asked about the restroom told him that we were tresspassing! As he continued to yell, every eye in the place was on him and you could hear a pin drop.  He stated that we were tresspassing and that he would call the police. I informed him on three occassions that we had made a purchase and he finally realized what I was saying and said, "Okay".
My sister was embarrassed and scared and we complained to a police officer outside the door and left the area. This is my first hand experience at this deli and certainly my last visit. After twenty five years in retail and restaurant managment, I thought I had seen or heard of it all...boy was I wrong. Enter at your own risk!
Allan

No comments:

Post a Comment